
So Chelsea and I are starting to understand a little bit about the "paper chase." Looks like I sent the notarized copies of our passports to the Department of Homeland Security, and also needed the same thing for our dossier. Luckly we have those, as well as our financial statment on their way to KBS. So I guess it's a non-issue.
We finally received a book that we ordered two weeks ago. It is the Lonely Planet's Amharic Phrasebook. It is very easy looking to use, and is not nearly as scary as the Amharic/English Dictionary that I saw at the Maru grocery. I have no clue what my accent will be like, or if I'll even do the sounds correctly...but hey, it's not like my Spanish is perfect, and I've survived speaking in Mexico countless times. By the way, if you call and I answer the phone with a funny sounding word, it's just me practicing hello in Amharic (yes, i've already started trying!). Just ask my brother and mom as I used it on them lastnight!
It is amazing how much your focus shifts. First time parents! I've heard it and seen it before with others, but it's truly amazing how much you can already start focusing all of your efforts on a child. Maybe not spoiling a child is going to be harder than I thought! I guess if you saw our cats and dogs...you'd know they're pretty spoiled. On the same hand, they are disciplined.
Hold on...pets aren't people. That is true, but it's the closest we have had for the last three years or so. It's not like we can leave the dogs for more than a few hours. They have to be fed, given attention, trained, disciplined, exercised, and taken to the vet. Still hugely different - you're right, but at least I can think that I have started to develop some very basic parenting skills :)
Wasn't that a scary peak into my mind?
Those are some of the thoughts I go back and forth with. As I've said before those are some of the same fears of any parent to be right? Will I be a good parent? How will I react when...? Will I be consistent?
As far as the adoption process goes, we seem to receive encouragement almost daily. Lastnight we were reminded that not everyone has a computer to view the blog. We visited some people and they were incredibly excited to visit with us and get an "update" on the adoption process. The enthusiasm was so unexpected! It was really neat, and made me wonder if I shouldn't create a paper newsletter like our blog for others in the same situation. It is amazing how God can provide the most timely pick-me-ups. The funny thing about it, is that we were trying to do something nice for them with a quick visit and a little dessert that Chelsea had made....turns out that we were the one's who were on the receiving end! Again, we continue to thank God for His goodness to us (amazing doesn't go far enough), as well as all of you who continue to provide unknown encouragement and support. Thank you, thank you, thank you!



No comments:
Post a Comment