So I was telling David my confusion with Nataga saying "NaNa" because he only does it when he is upset. I posted a few days ago that I wasn't sure why he was saying it and today David figured it out! Näy is a word that means "come here" in Amharic. We use it all of the time when we want Nataga to come and say "Na, Na". Well Nataga's Amharic is MUCH better than ours so when we hear his, it is said correctly! It sounded slightly different from what we say and I had no clue what he was trying to relay to us. I am so glad David figured it out. Nataga also says "abat" and "enat" every now and then (the words for father and mother). I love hearing him say them b/c it sounds so neat. When we say them they are... well... there really isn't a word except "slaughtered".
When we were in ET, the people at our guest house were so sweet and I would speak to them in Amharic while they spoke to me in English. They were very encouraging and complemented my Amharic while we were there. They spent lots of time teaching me new words. They understood everything I was saying and got a laugh out of me b/c I learned the polite (the form an elderly person would use) way to say the words. As I hear Nataga talk- I am thinking... I have a slew of random words to throw out- and apparently I talk like an old person and can't pronounce them just right! ;) Also not nearly enough words to use an actual sentence! This isn't looking good for me as I have been trying to teach Nataga his colors in Amharic. ~I can just see it -He'll go back and they won't have a clue what he is saying. (Disgusted look on someones face) "Where did you learn to speak Amharic"? Nataga- "Oh! My mom taught me!" Woah!
If only there was a tutor in the area! However the people in Ethipia COULD understand me so I guess it is give and take!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Wow, that is so cool that he's retained and uses some Amharic!! I'm totally impressed! And it must sound so sweet.
HAHA! I thought that was what he was saying. Y'all should come over for a day and let Henok coach you on colors and numbers. He would be VERY happy to do it! But be warned....he will correct you again and again until you say it perfectly. HAHA!
Post a Comment